Buying a BoatYou're in the market for a boat? Congratulations! There isn't much that beats spending time on the water, with the wind in your hair, the sun on your face, and maybe a good-sized fish on your hook. (All right, we admit it; it could be cold water running down your back, waves sloshing over the edge and empty nets....But that's all part of the fun, isn't it?)
A boat is likely one of the more expensive investments in your life, right after your home and/or car(s). So, although boat insurance isn't mandatory, it's important to get your ducks in a row before you launch.
Call your mates at Philbin Insurance Group or drop us a line before you get into choppy waters, and you'll have happy sailing (and peace of mind, too). Here are a couple of things to consider as you buy your new or used vessel:
- Don't rely on your homeowner's insurance to keep your boat afloat
- Coverage for your boat while in transit
- Coverage for the people on your boat
- Storing your boat at home or at a marina
- Discounts for your boat insurance
So, you arrive home from work and wander outside to wash the salt off the motor...but something feels funny. You open the latched gate to your backyard and there's your boat but…no motor! No kicker! No rods! No nets! No fish finder! Hmm...Maybe your wife took care of it and put it all in the garage? (Odd, she doesn't normally get near the boat.)
But, no! Slowly it dawns on you. Somebody wandered into your backyard and stole your motor and your gear. You can't believe it! Surely it's insured, right? But...you never got boat insurance.
Some boat owners may assume that their boat is covered under their homeowner's insurance policy. But in fact, there is only limited coverage ($1,000-$1,500 depending on the insurance company) for damage to a boat on your homeowner's policy. And, generally, the loss must occur at your home.
Damage to your boat that occurs while you are launching the boat or when you are out on the water would not be covered by your homeowner's policy. And, more importantly, liability protection in the event someone is hurt or some property is damaged by your negligent operation of your boat is not covered by your homeowner's policy (with exceptions for small boats that have an outboard motor 25 horsepower or less.)
The solution is a Boat Insurance Policy.
Boat insurance not only covers damage to your boat in and out of the water, but it also provides liability protection in case you are responsible for injury to swimmers, water skiers or other boaters or damage to another boat, a dock or the environment (due to fuel spillage). In addition, boat insurance provides no-fault medical payment coverage for accidental injuries to the passengers on your boat.
Call Philbin Insurance Group for a hassle-free boat insurance quote 617-389-9400. It'll be fast and easy, and it'll give you the peace of mind knowing that you and your boat are adequately covered.
Now it's 10:00 am and you're on the road home with your new boat.
Suddenly, you hear a screech! You check the rear-view mirror – Darn! The boat looks lopsided. Crooked.
Something's weird. You slow down and start merging over to the shoulder, but then it happens: You hear metal scraping on the pavement and you watch as the trailer comes loose, spins out into the next lane and comes to a halt. A semi-truck swerves to avoid impact but it's too late...both your boat and the semi are damaged in the collision.
While in transit, the liability protection on the auto insurance policy of the towing vehicle will extend to cover damage or injury to others that is done by your towed boat and/or trailer, if you are negligent. This is a good reason to check your auto liability limits to make sure that they are adequate -- damage to a large semi-trailer can be hundreds of thousands of dollars!
In this example, the damage to your boat and trailer would be covered by your Boat Insurance policy, if you had one.
That's why it makes sense to call your insurance agents (us!) before you buy a boat -- ideally when you are still just thinking about it. Not only can we review your auto policy and adjust your liability coverage to the new exposure of towing a trailer but we can also comparison shop your potential rates with all of our companies so that you will have a preliminary idea, before you buy, of the cost and breadth of your boat insurance coverage.
When the day comes that you find and buy your boat, just call us to confirm the boat specs and we can complete an application over the phone so that you can start enjoying your new boat right away, while safely towing it home.
Easy boat insurance and peace of mind with Philbin Insurance Group. That's what we're here for.
Unfortunately, Joe isn't only a klutz; he's also a dare-devil. He already mentioned that he borrowed some water-skiing gear, and will bring it along. He's always wanted to try it out.
You swallow and let it be, hoping that just this once nobody will get hurt and nothing will break.
Saturday comes around and the guys are heading out. Sure enough, Joe wants to water-ski and you don't want to spoil the fun so you tow him along. But you've never done this before and you need to find your groove as much as Joe needs to find his behind you.
Next thing you know, Joe hollers and goes under. You stop and turn around, and when you and your friends fish him out of the water, he's broken his ankle due to your close encounter with a buoy.
Good News! A boat insurance policy will provide liability and medical payment coverage for the people that are aboard your boat, or that you are towing on water-skis, as long as you aren't participating in a competition. So, as long as you thought ahead and talked with your agent here at Philbin Insurance Group, you'll have the peace of mind to know that you're adequately covered.
Because of the proximity of other boats and the potential for a loss on your boat to spread to other boats or the dock, most marinas are now requiring proof of at least $500,0000 liability protection before they'll rent you mooring space.
Check with your marina for more information, and call your team at Philbin Insurance Group for the hassle-free boat insurance you need in order to safely moor your boat there.
Well, a great way to start is to call your insurance agent at Philbin Insurance Group. We specialize in all your personal insurance needs, and that includes boat insurance!
We may not win a fishing derby, but we sure know how to catch you all the discounts you deserve on your boat insurance!
There are a variety of ways to lower your boat insurance rates:
- Make a good choice on the type of boat that you are going to buy. Choosing safety over performance will keep your rates lower.
- Also, the value of the boat will make a difference. The higher the boat's value, the higher the premium.
- Many companies will offer a discount if you take and complete a boating safety course. This will help you make the right call in a critical situation.
- Most companies also offer “new hull" discounts and “claim-free" discounts.
- "I'm very pleased with my policy with Philbin Insurance Group. I recommend you to all my friends and family. I think you're the best auto and home insurance company in today's market. Your agents are personable and professional. Thank you so very much!"
— Kim S., Medford
- "We have been with Philbin for years. The service has always been great! All the agents have been friendly and more importantly competent! We would not change."
— Lori C., Stoneham
- "You are the best! Thanks for all of your team's time in getting me countless quotes. I am confident that I have the right information and therefore am able to make better decisions. I'll be trying the online quotes to try and save even more time!"
— Leo Z., N. Reading
- "I have been a part of the Philbin family for over 10 years and my parents have been with them even longer. Always quick to respond, friendly and you know they will do anything to help you and their agents are so easy to talk to, like talking to a friend."
— Ashley J., Woburn
- "Philbin insurance has helped me & my family with genuine concern for us in our times of needing insurance information & help assessing all of our policies. We live in Weymouth & plan on using Philbin for many years to come. Thank you for your quick & courteous responses over the years."
- "I have done business with Philbin Insurance for many years, and have been completely satisfied with all and every transaction. Thank you."
— Anna R. , Everett
- "I have been a customer of Philbin's for many years and have always found their service to be very professional. When ever I have a question I have always received a prompt answer."
— Tim C., Methuen
- "I have had my car and home insurance with Philbin Insurance for numerous years. Over the years I have had to call on occasion for help with insurance matters and received prompt, courteous and knowledgeable assosiates to assist me, I have recommended your services in the past and will continue to do so. Thanks for the many years of quality service."
— Katherine G., Medford
- "Philbin Insurance is a family run business with whom I've done business with for over 40 years. They have provided me and my family with the most professional interactions, responsive to any inquiries that I may have regarding home and car insurance, and have provided me with the most cost effective insurance policies available. Thanks and kudos to the Philbin family."
— Gus M., Reading
- "I have been a customer of Philbin Insurance Group for many years and have found them to be extremely professional and helpful. My claims have been awarded in a supportive and timely manner. I appreciate their polite and friendly service."
— Mary C., Swampscott
- "I have my insurance with Philbin Insurance Agency and I have to say they are number 1 when it comes to customer service. You always get to speak with your representative, and they always provide you with the answers you need and the best insurance rates to suit your needs. I will always continue to use Philbin Insurance agency and couldn't be happier with my choice. Thank you Philbin."
— Sarah G., Methuen
- "I've been a customer of Philbin Insurance Group since I first moved to Massachusetts four years ago, and I've only had good experiences with their agents. From finding me a better deal to being extremely prompt in helping me take care of issues, their customer service is top-notch."
— Christina V., Saugus
- "Been with you for years. (House & Cars) Love Nancy in the Lynnfield office!"
— Tracy C., Peabody
Contact Us for More Information about our Special Offers!