Teen is Going to CollegeThe moment's come. The bags are unpacked, the bed is made, pictures are on the wall, and the snack-shelf is fully stocked. It's time to say good-bye. And in your stomach, you feel an odd mixture of pride and joy, anxiety, and…sentimentality. Can this bright young college student who is positively vibrating with excitement REALLY be your little one who just learned to walk?
It's hard to let go.
But as a parent, you've spent the last 18 years raising your child to be ready for these first steps into a life of their own. And you did a great job – otherwise, they wouldn't be here.
Still, you want to make sure they're fully protected as they sail off with their wishes, dreams and hopes.
Philbin Insurance Group can provide you with guidance on what insurance you'll need and what you won't need for this life altering event. Following are some points to consider when it comes to your college student's insurance needs:
If your student doesn't take a car to school, we recommend that you keep him listed on the policy for a number of reasons:
- He'll be fully protected if he returns home for a weekend visit and wants to drive.
- He will have insurance protection when he's driving a friend's car while away, and that vehicle isn't adequately insured.
- Even if he doesn't take a car to school, he'll be fully protected if he's hit by a car while walking or bicycling, or while being a passenger in somebody else's car.
- Keeping him on your auto policy maintains continuous insurance coverage, which may be beneficial when he gets his own auto insurance policy.
You can also apply for the Distant Student Discount if your child attends college 100 miles or more away from home.
If your student takes a car to school, she or he can still remain on your auto policy. In fact, your child should, since it is usually much more expensive for young divers and students to have their own policy. Be sure to notify us about the new garaging address: Not only do insurance companies prefer that, but it may also save you money, particularly if your student attends college in a less populated area of the state.
Full-time college students can usually remain covered on their parents' auto policy if their primary address is the parents' house, even if they attend college out of state. Make sure that the policy meets the minimum auto liability requirements for that state.
If your student owns the vehicle and holds the title, they'll need their own auto policy.
Philbin Insurance Group specializes in properly insuring your college student. We will review your situation and make sure all coverage is current and adequate.
If your child continues to live in your household, his or her belongings are covered under your policy.
If your child stays in a dorm room on campus and you, the parents, have renters or homeowner's insurance for your home, your insurance policy will extend to cover their belongings, up to a 10% limit of your personal property coverage.
That means, if your renter's or homeowner's policy has a limit of $200,000 for personal property, there will be coverage for up to $20,000 for your child's belongings. Keep in mind that coverage is subject to your renter's or homeowner's policy deductible, usually $500 - $1,000.
Check with us to make sure the personal property limit on your homeowner's policy is adequate. You might need additional coverage to insure expensive items like jewelry, musical instruments, or certain sports equipment.
Please note: Will your child return home or travel abroad for longer periods of time as part of their college experience? If they leave their belongings behind in a dorm or fraternity / sorority house for more than 45 days, your homeowners policy will no longer cover those belongings.
In that situation, it's important to either ship the belongings home during extended absences or temporarily store the items in a commercial storage facility.
If your college student lives in his or her own place off-campus, or shares an off-campus house or apartment with friends, things get a little trickier. You might have to set up a separate renter's policy for your student. That will not only cover his or her "stuff", but also provide liability coverage in case somebody gets hurt in their place. In addition, many landlords have made renter's insurance a requirement of the lease. Renter's insurance policies are usually quite affordable, generally less than $15 per month.
Depending on your child's particular situation, there might be some other variables that need to be considered. This is where an independent insurance agency (like us!) really comes in handy!
If your student is about to move into his or her own place, give us a call. We can help you navigate through the insurance-jungle and make sure you get the best value and protection for your money.
He needs you to tell him what to do.
In a case like this, you'll need to check with your health insurance provider to see if your child is still covered. Here are some important points to consider:
- As a full time student, he or she may be covered up to a certain age limit in Massachusetts.
If covered, be aware of how your coverage works in a different state:
- If you have an HMO and your student's college is not within the service area, you will be covered for emergency situations. However, follow-up care may not be covered unless you go back to your service area.
- If you have PPO and the accident is outside of the provider network, benefits will only be paid at the non-preferred level.
Please note: If your child travels while in school, make sure you check if their health insurance coverage extends to overseas travel. Many times it does not.
One-Stop Insurance ShoppingHaving a child go off to school is a roller coaster ride. There is so much to think about, not to mention the whirlwind of emotions. Get yourself and your student the peace of mind you deserve when it comes to your auto, homeowners and health insurance protection. When life's emergencies are dealt with by a competent pro, it's one less thing to think about.
Our team at Philbin Insurance Group specializes in family protection plans. Our family-oriented agency has helped thousands of clients get prepared for the changing insurance needs of new college students and their families, while making sure they get the best protection for their insurance dollar. We know where to look to find the discounts!
Contact us today 617-389-9400 for a free review of you and your student's insurance plan.
- "I'm very pleased with my policy with Philbin Insurance Group. I recommend you to all my friends and family. I think you're the best auto and home insurance company in today's market. Your agents are personable and professional. Thank you so very much!"
— Kim S., Medford
- "We have been with Philbin for years. The service has always been great! All the agents have been friendly and more importantly competent! We would not change."
— Lori C., Stoneham
- "You are the best! Thanks for all of your team's time in getting me countless quotes. I am confident that I have the right information and therefore am able to make better decisions. I'll be trying the online quotes to try and save even more time!"
— Leo Z., N. Reading
- "I have been a part of the Philbin family for over 10 years and my parents have been with them even longer. Always quick to respond, friendly and you know they will do anything to help you and their agents are so easy to talk to, like talking to a friend."
— Ashley J., Woburn
- "Philbin insurance has helped me & my family with genuine concern for us in our times of needing insurance information & help assessing all of our policies. We live in Weymouth & plan on using Philbin for many years to come. Thank you for your quick & courteous responses over the years."
- "I have done business with Philbin Insurance for many years, and have been completely satisfied with all and every transaction. Thank you."
— Anna R. , Everett
- "I have been a customer of Philbin's for many years and have always found their service to be very professional. When ever I have a question I have always received a prompt answer."
— Tim C., Methuen
- "I have had my car and home insurance with Philbin Insurance for numerous years. Over the years I have had to call on occasion for help with insurance matters and received prompt, courteous and knowledgeable assosiates to assist me, I have recommended your services in the past and will continue to do so. Thanks for the many years of quality service."
— Katherine G., Medford
- "Philbin Insurance is a family run business with whom I've done business with for over 40 years. They have provided me and my family with the most professional interactions, responsive to any inquiries that I may have regarding home and car insurance, and have provided me with the most cost effective insurance policies available. Thanks and kudos to the Philbin family."
— Gus M., Reading
- "I have been a customer of Philbin Insurance Group for many years and have found them to be extremely professional and helpful. My claims have been awarded in a supportive and timely manner. I appreciate their polite and friendly service."
— Mary C., Swampscott
- "I have my insurance with Philbin Insurance Agency and I have to say they are number 1 when it comes to customer service. You always get to speak with your representative, and they always provide you with the answers you need and the best insurance rates to suit your needs. I will always continue to use Philbin Insurance agency and couldn't be happier with my choice. Thank you Philbin."
— Sarah G., Methuen
- "I've been a customer of Philbin Insurance Group since I first moved to Massachusetts four years ago, and I've only had good experiences with their agents. From finding me a better deal to being extremely prompt in helping me take care of issues, their customer service is top-notch."
— Christina V., Saugus
- "Been with you for years. (House & Cars) Love Nancy in the Lynnfield office!"
— Tracy C., Peabody
Contact Us for More Information about our Special Offers!