Bought a High Value Item
High Valued Jewelry, Watches, Furs, Guns, etc.She'll love it. Of course she will. And, of course, she'll say yes…You've talked about getting married, starting a family…and you agreed on everything. She'll say yes. She'll love the ring.
So why, WHY is this so nerve-wrecking? You asked her father. You've got the ring. You got your plan. You've made the reservations.
You've thought of everything…Even planned a little surprise party 'afterwards', to celebrate with family and friends. And, you booked a hotel room for the weekend getaway. The “pre-honeymoon", so to say. So, it's all set. Right?
As your insurance agents, we have to say: It sounds absolutely perfect. Except for one detail: Did you get insurance for the ring?
High-value items are insured as part of the “personal property coverage" on a standard homeowner's or renter's policy, but only to certain limits. If the value of an individual item (such as an engagement ring) exceeds the stated limit, there is no coverage for the difference…unless you purchased a “scheduled personal property" endorsement.
This advice applies not only for jewelry, but also for antiques, art, high-value rugs, coin collections, firearms, and certain other items.
Jewelry is by far the most common high-value item to be insured. (That's why we'll keep the focus on it in this article.) But if you have or buy an expensive item that fits any of the categories above, and you're wondering whether it is covered on your homeowner's policy, give us a call. We're happy to find the adequate protection for your valuables.
- Something sparkly for the one you love? Get it insured.
- Inherited a jewelry box? Please follow this advice.
- Protect against mysterious disappearance & loss of stones from settings.
Well, first of all, Congratulations on your upcoming engagement! Of course, once you have the ring in your possession, things start to sink in…
Don't let your lifetime of happiness get off to a rocky start in the event the ring gets lost or stolen. A typical homeowner's policy only covers jewelry up to a limited amount. As soon as the ring is in your possession, it is time to protect it by adding a scheduled jewelry endorsement to your homeowners insurance or renters insurance policy.
One important note: If you and your girlfriend don't live together, the insurance question can become a little more complicated. As long as the ring is still in your possession, the ring can be insured on your homeowner's or renter's policy. But as soon as you propose – and give the ring to your fiancée – it becomes hers, and must be insured on her homeowner's or renter's policy. When in doubt, just give our office a call.
Of course, this advice doesn't apply only for an engagement ring. It is wise to protect all your expensive jewelry or watches with a jewelry endorsement. Are you going to give her those diamond earrings she's been dreaming about for Christmas? Is he receiving a Rolex for Father's Day or his well-earned retirement? Please get them insured.
Coverage for expensive jewelry is available at a surprisingly low cost. Simply hold on to your receipt, or obtain a professional appraisal to determine the value of the item. Your team at Philbin Insurance Group can help you take care of all the rest.
She must have been very touched by this, because now, 20 years later, she passed away and left you her entire jewelry box. All of it. You're not sure what to do with it…most of it seems like big costume jewelry. Nothing too valuable. And not your style, really, either.
3 years later it's still in your garage, and you're thinking, it may be time to take it all to the thrift store. No offense, Aunt Bertha…
If you inherited jewelry, do yourself a favor and be sure to get it appraised. Nine times out of ten, people assume that the jewelry they inherited is costume jewelry and of little value. And nine times out of ten, they are wrong.
Our office recommends an appraisal whenever you're in doubt. We have even heard of a bracelet being appraised that turned out to be very rare Scottish jewelry from the mid-1800's, valued at $4,500 – and it was a piece that was just about to be given to the Thrift Store! Don't let that happen to you!
Not only that: The cost of gold and platinum has been on the rise over the past years, so if you have jewelry that has been appraised five or more years ago, it may have appreciated in value and might need to be appraised again.
Any individual piece of jewelry that is valued at more than $1,500 should be insured on a special jewelry endorsement that is added to your homeowner's or renter's policy. In insurance terms, we also call this “scheduling" your jewelry.
In order to schedule a piece of jewelry, we ask that you provide a picture of the item, and either a receipt or a professional appraisal. Depending on your insurance company, cost usually runs about $12 per $1,000 value.
Even though we are insurance agents, there is a non-insurance alternative for high valued jewelry that you may be keeping to pass on to future generations, but don't plan to use now. Investing in a safe deposit box for items that are seldom used may be less expensive than scheduling. Just make sure to let us know if fashions change and you've brought some of those nostalgic pieces home to use regularly.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to give us a call 617-389-9400. We are here to help!
That means it's exposed to whatever you are doing, and it's at risk from all the dangers that come with the world out there: It could get lost or simply slip off your numb finger as you take off your glove on that freezing winter day. Not to mention, the stone could fall out of its setting.
70% of all personal property claims involve jewelry. The good news: Jewelry is usually covered up to $1,500 per item on a standard homeowners insurance or renters insurance policy.
The not-so-good news: A typical homeowners insurance policy does not cover losses due to mysterious disappearance or loss of a stone from its setting.
The even-better solution: Scheduling jewelry items over $1500 in value and adding a “special form" endorsement to your home insurance policy for lower valued items will cover these common losses.
And, if an item is scheduled, no deductible will apply to your loss! Please give us a call 617-389-9400 for more information.
- "I'm very pleased with my policy with Philbin Insurance Group. I recommend you to all my friends and family. I think you're the best auto and home insurance company in today's market. Your agents are personable and professional. Thank you so very much!"
— Kim S., Medford
- "We have been with Philbin for years. The service has always been great! All the agents have been friendly and more importantly competent! We would not change."
— Lori C., Stoneham
- "You are the best! Thanks for all of your team's time in getting me countless quotes. I am confident that I have the right information and therefore am able to make better decisions. I'll be trying the online quotes to try and save even more time!"
— Leo Z., N. Reading
- "I have been a part of the Philbin family for over 10 years and my parents have been with them even longer. Always quick to respond, friendly and you know they will do anything to help you and their agents are so easy to talk to, like talking to a friend."
— Ashley J., Woburn
- "Philbin insurance has helped me & my family with genuine concern for us in our times of needing insurance information & help assessing all of our policies. We live in Weymouth & plan on using Philbin for many years to come. Thank you for your quick & courteous responses over the years."
- "I have done business with Philbin Insurance for many years, and have been completely satisfied with all and every transaction. Thank you."
— Anna R. , Everett
- "I have been a customer of Philbin's for many years and have always found their service to be very professional. When ever I have a question I have always received a prompt answer."
— Tim C., Methuen
- "I have had my car and home insurance with Philbin Insurance for numerous years. Over the years I have had to call on occasion for help with insurance matters and received prompt, courteous and knowledgeable assosiates to assist me, I have recommended your services in the past and will continue to do so. Thanks for the many years of quality service."
— Katherine G., Medford
- "Philbin Insurance is a family run business with whom I've done business with for over 40 years. They have provided me and my family with the most professional interactions, responsive to any inquiries that I may have regarding home and car insurance, and have provided me with the most cost effective insurance policies available. Thanks and kudos to the Philbin family."
— Gus M., Reading
- "I have been a customer of Philbin Insurance Group for many years and have found them to be extremely professional and helpful. My claims have been awarded in a supportive and timely manner. I appreciate their polite and friendly service."
— Mary C., Swampscott
- "I have my insurance with Philbin Insurance Agency and I have to say they are number 1 when it comes to customer service. You always get to speak with your representative, and they always provide you with the answers you need and the best insurance rates to suit your needs. I will always continue to use Philbin Insurance agency and couldn't be happier with my choice. Thank you Philbin."
— Sarah G., Methuen
- "I've been a customer of Philbin Insurance Group since I first moved to Massachusetts four years ago, and I've only had good experiences with their agents. From finding me a better deal to being extremely prompt in helping me take care of issues, their customer service is top-notch."
— Christina V., Saugus
- "Been with you for years. (House & Cars) Love Nancy in the Lynnfield office!"
— Tracy C., Peabody
Contact Us for More Information about our Special Offers!