Buying a CarThere you are, out car shopping on a sunny Saturday morning. Whether it's your first car or your fifth, you can't help feeling the bubbles of excitement as you stroll across the lot, coffee in hand, looking at all the different cars.
Of course you know what you want. Kind of. You've done your research! You have an idea what type of vehicle you need, looked into your financing options, made up your mind on whether you'll buy a new or used car, and read up on gas mileage, crash test and safety ratings. You even know what color you'd like.
Today is the day. You are ready to make a move and drive the new ride home.
But did you call your insurance agent to make sure you and your new car are covered as you drive off the lot?
There are actually quite a few aspects to consider when you purchase a new or used car. Some of them are to ensure that you have insurance protection, others can save you quite a bit of money.
A quick phone call to us at Philbin Insurance Group before you go out to buy can give you the head start you need to stay in control.
- Car Dealer says you have 30 days toinsure your new car? Beware! It's not always true!
- Car Loan Upside Down? Get the insurance, but not from the dealer.
- Buying a used car? If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- Buying a car for your teen? Read this.
- Thinking about co-signing on a loan? We don't recommend it.
So there's no need to fret...Right?
Unfortunately, that's not quite true. There are indeed situations when you have 30 days to add the new car to your policy. But there are far too many variables to give a simple rule explaining when the 30-day cushion applies and when it does not. For example, it might work when you trade a vehicle but it won't be applicable when you buy an additional vehicle.
Your safest bet: Don't rely on the 30-day advice. Get your insurance now!
If you are beginning to think about buying a new car, give your insurance team at Philbin Insurance Group a quick call right away and we'll set you up right. We'll make sure that when you finally go to buy your new car, you don't have to worry. It's as easy as that.
This can become a problem if your car is totaled after an accident or theft. If your car is a 'total loss', your insurance company is only obligated to pay for its fair market value. If the amount you owe on the vehicle is more than the market value, you might find that you need to pay additional money (sometimes thousands of dollars) just to pay off the car loan (even though you can't even drive the car anymore!)
That's what “gap" coverage is for. It pays for the difference between the market value of your car and the amount you have left on your loan. We absolutely believe that you should purchase “gap" or auto loan/lease coverage on every lease!
But: We recommend that you purchase this coverage through your auto insurance company. Insurance companies usually charge a monthly fee (for example: maybe $50-70 a month) for gap coverage while a dealer will ask for a lump sum (maybe $600-800 in a comparable scenario). Often, this will be rolled into your financing and you will also be charged interest on it for the entire life of your loan! If you purchase “gap" coverage through your auto insurance, you can drop it when you are no longer “upside down" on your loan.
Complicated? No worries. Call your Philbin Insurance Group team at 617-389-9400 and we will set it all up for you. As soon as you are ready to buy…call us before you sign the contract!
Wait. Why don't they?
The caveat with used cars is often that you can never be really sure what has happened to them. So you rely on the honesty of the previous owner…or you get a vehicle history report. Various providers offer these reports online for a fee. Even better, if you call your trusty insurance agent 617-389-9400 you can get it for free!
Be smart. Call Philbin Insurance Group before you buy your car.
Now your son's 16, and you want nothing more than make his dreams come true. What parent doesn't? Since both of you are into cars, you agree on a sporty model. It stretches the budget but it's affordable.
The surprise comes Monday when you call your agent to add the new car to your insurance plan.
Young drivers in combination with new, sporty vehicles make for an expensive mix when it comes to your auto insurance. This is not a personal offense against your teen (who might be a very good driver). But studies have proven again and again that young drivers are the highest risk on the road. And insurance companies will rate young drivers as high-risk drivers, because they simply have not yet gained the experience of older drivers. Additionally, sports cars by their very nature tend to encourage speeding which makes for increased insurance rates. Brand new models and types like SUVs and Trucks may also trigger higher rates.
If you are looking to buy a car for your teen, we recommend that you opt for a mid-size, slightly older and reliable car with safety features such as airbags or anti-lock brakes. Older cars are generally less expensive to insure because they are less expensive to repair.
And remember, you can always give us a call for more advice or sample rate quotes!
So, you consider helping her out by co-signing a car loan.
When purchasing and financing a new or used car for your adult child, think twice: If you co-sign on a loan for a car that your son or daughter will be driving, you may be held liable if an accident occurs – even if you weren't driving, and even if the car was not listed on your insurance policy.
Why? Because liability follows the registered owner(s) of a car. If you are listed as a registered owner (which you are, if you co-sign), you can be held liable in case of an accident, and your assets are in jeopardy, often for the life of the loan.
So what can you do if you'd like to assist your child by helping him or her buy a car?
From an insurance standpoint, rather than risk your assets by co-signing, the best solution is to give financial support but to register the car in the child's name only.
Keep in mind: This advice only applies for young adults who are no longer your dependents. If your child is still a dependent, lives in your household, and/or is continuing his or her education, families will often find the broadest coverage and best insurance rates by keeping registration and insurance in the parents' names.
One-Stop Insurance ShoppingBuying a new car is very exciting! Get yourself cruising right by giving our team at Philbin Insurance Group a call before you head out to the dealer. We can make sure you get adequate protection at the best rates, plus all the discounts you deserve. One quick phone call – much less hassle. Isn't that the way to do it?
Contact us today 617-389-9400. We're here to help!
- "I'm very pleased with my policy with Philbin Insurance Group. I recommend you to all my friends and family. I think you're the best auto and home insurance company in today's market. Your agents are personable and professional. Thank you so very much!"
— Kim S., Medford
- "We have been with Philbin for years. The service has always been great! All the agents have been friendly and more importantly competent! We would not change."
— Lori C., Stoneham
- "You are the best! Thanks for all of your team's time in getting me countless quotes. I am confident that I have the right information and therefore am able to make better decisions. I'll be trying the online quotes to try and save even more time!"
— Leo Z., N. Reading
- "I have been a part of the Philbin family for over 10 years and my parents have been with them even longer. Always quick to respond, friendly and you know they will do anything to help you and their agents are so easy to talk to, like talking to a friend."
— Ashley J., Woburn
- "Philbin insurance has helped me & my family with genuine concern for us in our times of needing insurance information & help assessing all of our policies. We live in Weymouth & plan on using Philbin for many years to come. Thank you for your quick & courteous responses over the years."
- "I have done business with Philbin Insurance for many years, and have been completely satisfied with all and every transaction. Thank you."
— Anna R. , Everett
- "I have been a customer of Philbin's for many years and have always found their service to be very professional. When ever I have a question I have always received a prompt answer."
— Tim C., Methuen
- "I have had my car and home insurance with Philbin Insurance for numerous years. Over the years I have had to call on occasion for help with insurance matters and received prompt, courteous and knowledgeable assosiates to assist me, I have recommended your services in the past and will continue to do so. Thanks for the many years of quality service."
— Katherine G., Medford
- "Philbin Insurance is a family run business with whom I've done business with for over 40 years. They have provided me and my family with the most professional interactions, responsive to any inquiries that I may have regarding home and car insurance, and have provided me with the most cost effective insurance policies available. Thanks and kudos to the Philbin family."
— Gus M., Reading
- "I have been a customer of Philbin Insurance Group for many years and have found them to be extremely professional and helpful. My claims have been awarded in a supportive and timely manner. I appreciate their polite and friendly service."
— Mary C., Swampscott
- "I have my insurance with Philbin Insurance Agency and I have to say they are number 1 when it comes to customer service. You always get to speak with your representative, and they always provide you with the answers you need and the best insurance rates to suit your needs. I will always continue to use Philbin Insurance agency and couldn't be happier with my choice. Thank you Philbin."
— Sarah G., Methuen
- "I've been a customer of Philbin Insurance Group since I first moved to Massachusetts four years ago, and I've only had good experiences with their agents. From finding me a better deal to being extremely prompt in helping me take care of issues, their customer service is top-notch."
— Christina V., Saugus
- "Been with you for years. (House & Cars) Love Nancy in the Lynnfield office!"
— Tracy C., Peabody
Contact Us for More Information about our Special Offers!